Monday 7 June 2010

Completed novel!

Hello! *blows out the dust*

Surprising how many spiders invade when you don't visit for a while...

Anyway! I just finished 'Zack'. It ended up totalling 68588 words. And because I like stats, that means I wrote 229 words on average per day, 10 words an hour, and 0.2 words a minute. Hehehe. More accurately, I tended to write a few thousand for a couple of days, then have a few weeks/months off...

It's likely that that word count will change in the editing process. At the moment, I feel it will grow, as I fear there's some work to be done on at least one character in the early stages of the novel, if possible.

I'm not too worried about the word count, even though it is probably 'over' what is recommended for YA. There are a couple of reasons. One is that I'm not even sure if it IS Young Adult. It feels too dark for a large part of the novel. I'm not sure. Another is that because it's a bit of a genreless blob floating on white space, it's probably not going to be a break-through novel... Hey, but I'm reasonably happy with it, and I think it will be a good one to read, even if I have to get another novel published before I can hope to get this one out in print.

The publishing world is a mean place. They want you to be original, but at the same time, they don't want you to be too dangerous, lest it flops. That's especially true if you're an unpublished author trying to break into the market.

Perhaps I'm just being pessimistic about my novel's chances, however. I'll run it through my writing circle this summer to see how it is received. Have I mentioned http://www.critiquecircle.com/ before? Without exaggerating, it's the most amazing place on the whole wide web. I've been a member for almost six years now...amazing how time flies.

It'll take about 20 weeks to get the novel through Critique Circle, chapter by chapter, taking us into November. After that, it'll be time to edit and decision time: do I bother trying to submit it? Hopefully, if I stick to the plan, and I do decide to go with it, then I'll get some submissions out in the new year. What a long process.

In the meantime, it's time to go back to the ideas folder. I have a vague idea of what I want to do next...

2 comments:

  1. What is this story about then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how much to tell people about it on here. But maybe something like this would be on the blurb:

    For seventeen years, Zack thinks he has an extreme form of photophobia - a sensitivity to light. His eyes are always covered up, and he knows that the slightest exposure to light could cause a deadly reaction. The real reason his eyes are covered, however, is deadly in a very different way. And when his blindfold comes off, things go rapidly downhill...

    ReplyDelete